Hearty Oatmeal Bowl
January is National Oatmeal Month! Here's a healthy recipe from Barb Van Meerbeke, RD, LDN, to help you warm up on winter mornings and get your day off to a great start.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Low Fat Diet, American
Nutrition facts: 1 serving = 334 calories, 12g fat, 51g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 46mg sodium, 7g dietary fiber
- 1/3 cup dry, old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- Dash of nutmeg
- Nut or seed topping
- In a large cereal bowl, add oats, water and milk and nutmeg.
- Microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Add one of the following fruits: 1 small apple with cinnamon, 1 1/4 cup fresh strawberries, 3/4 cup fresh blueberries, 1 cup mixed berries, 1 medium peach/nectarine, or 1/2 large banana
- Add one of the following toppings: 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, 12 almonds, or 2 tablespoons of pumpkin, sunflower or flax seeds
Note: Frozen, unsweetened fruit may be substituted for fresh fruit. Eat a hard-boiled egg with this hot cereal if you want additional protein.